Also found in: Thesaurus, Medical, Encyclopedia, Wikipedia.
1. The act or process of individuating, especially the process by which social individuals become differentiated one from the other.
2. The condition of being individuated; individuality.
a. The development of the individual from the general or universal.
b. The distinction or determination of the individual within the general or universal.
4. In Jungian psychology, the gradual integration and unification of the self through the resolution of successive layers of psychological conflict.
5. Embryology Formation of distinct organs or structures through the interaction of adjacent tissues.
American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, Fifth Edition. Copyright © 2016 by Houghton Mifflin Harcourt Publishing Company. Published by Houghton Mifflin Harcourt Publishing Company. All rights reserved.
1. the act or process of individuating
2. (Psychology) (in the psychology of Jung) the process by which the wholeness of the individual is established through the integration of consciousness and the collective unconscious
3. (Zoology) zoology the development of separate but mutually interdependent units, as in the development of zooids forming a colony
Collins English Dictionary – Complete and Unabridged, 12th Edition 2014 © HarperCollins Publishers 1991, 1994, 1998, 2000, 2003, 2006, 2007, 2009, 2011, 2014
in•di•vid•u•a•tion(ˌɪn dəˌvɪdʒ uˈeɪ ʃən)
1. the act of individuating.
2. the state of being individuated; individual existence; individuality.
3. Philos. the development of the individual from the general.
Random House Kernerman Webster's College Dictionary, © 2010 K Dictionaries Ltd. Copyright 2005, 1997, 1991 by Random House, Inc. All rights reserved.
the act or process of becoming an individual or distinct entity.See also: Self
-Ologies & -Isms. Copyright 2008 The Gale Group, Inc. All rights reserved.
Switch to new thesaurus
|Noun||1.||individuation - discriminating the individual from the generic group or species|
|2.||individuation - the quality of being individual; "so absorbed by the movement that she lost all sense of individuality"|
trait - a distinguishing feature of your personal nature
singularity, uniqueness - the quality of being one of a kind; "that singularity distinguished him from all his companions"
Based on WordNet 3.0, Farlex clipart collection. © 2003-2012 Princeton University, Farlex Inc.