Also found in: Thesaurus, Medical, Wikipedia.
Related to indurated: indurated clay, indurated tissue


 (ĭn′də-rāt′, -dyə-)
v. in·du·rat·ed, in·du·rat·ing, in·du·rates
1. To make hard; harden: soil that had been indurated by extremes of climate.
2. To inure, as to hardship or ridicule.
3. To make callous or obdurate: "It is the curse of revolutionary calamities to indurate the heart" (Helen Maria Williams).
1. To grow hard; harden.
2. To become firmly fixed or established.
adj. (ĭn′do͝o-rĭt, -dyə-)
Hardened; obstinate; unfeeling.

[Latin indūrāre, indūrāt- : in-, intensive pref.; see in-2 + dūrus, hard; see deru- in Indo-European roots.]

in′du·ra′tive adj.
American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, Fifth Edition. Copyright © 2016 by Houghton Mifflin Harcourt Publishing Company. Published by Houghton Mifflin Harcourt Publishing Company. All rights reserved.


adj (lesion) indurado; (skin) endurecida
English-Spanish/Spanish-English Medical Dictionary Copyright © 2006 by The McGraw-Hill Companies, Inc. All rights reserved.
References in classic literature ?
It is composed of indurated clay, with alternate layers of red and white sandstone, and may be seen at the distance of upward of thirty miles.
On the 21st, they encamped amidst high and beetling cliffs of indurated clay and sandstone, bearing the semblance of towers, castles, churches, and fortified cities.
Their march this day lay among singular hills and knolls of an indurated red earth, resembling brick, about the bases of which were scattered pumice stones and cinders, the whole bearing traces of the action of fire.
So indurated was I at that time to the abomination of the place, that I heard without a touch of emotion the puma victim begin another day of torture.
The list was headed, as usual, by the name of Sylvie, that plain, quiet little girl I have described before as being at once the best and ugliest pupil in the establishment; the second place had fallen to the lot of a certain Leonie Ledru, a diminutive, sharp-featured, and parchment-skinned creature of quick wits, frail conscience, and indurated feelings; a lawyer-like thing, of whom I used to say that, had she been a boy, she would have made a model of an unprincipled, clever attorney.
His person, though muscular, was rather attenuated than full; but every nerve and muscle appeared strung and indurated by unremitted exposure and toil.
Though evidently so near its dissolution, his attenuated frame still stood like the shaft of seasoned oak, dry, naked, and tempest-driven, but unbending and apparently indurated to the consistency of stone.
We here see at the bottom of the cliffs, beds containing sharks' teeth and sea-shells of extinct species, passing above into an indurated marl, and from that into the red clayey earth of the Pampas, with its calcareous concretions and the bones of terrestrial quadrupeds.
In proportion to the vigor of the individual these revolutions are frequent, until in some happier mind they are incessant and all worldly relations hang very loosely about him, becoming as it were a transparent fluid membrane through which the living form is seen, and not, as in most men, an indurated heterogeneous fabric of many dates and of no settled character, in which the man is imprisoned.
Approximately 75% of the gold enriched shear zones of Bullion Alley are hosted in porphyritic monzonite with the remaining 25% hosted in Inzana Formation (Takla Group) indurated volcanic and sedimentary lithologies.
Sinuses were indurated and produced a foul.smelling discharge.
Non traumatic ulcers, white patch (leukoplakia), white patch with red erythematous areas (Erythroplakia), long term non healing ulcers like squamous cell carcinoma, basal cell carcinoma with the presence of indurated margins are suspicious lesion which would make the lesion aggressive, cancerous & further investigation can be done.