indwell(redirected from indwells)
Also found in: Thesaurus.
v. in·dwelt (-dwĕlt′), in·dwell·ing, in·dwells
1. To exist as an animating or divine inner spirit, force, or principle.
2. To be located or implanted inside something.
To inhabit or reside within as such a spirit, force, or principle.
vb, -dwells, -dwelling or -dwelt
1. (tr) (of a spirit, principle, etc) to inhabit; suffuse
2. (intr) to dwell; exist
v. -dwelt, -dwell•ing. v.t.
1. to exist in as a moral principle or motivating force.v.i.
2. to abide within, as a guiding force, motivating principle, etc. (usu. fol. by in): a divine spirit indwelling in nature.
Past participle: indwelt