inelastic(redirected from inelastically)
Also found in: Thesaurus, Medical, Financial, Encyclopedia.
1. Lacking elasticity; unyielding or unadaptable. See Synonyms at stiff.
2. Economics Of, relating to, or being a good for which changes in price have little effect on the quantity demanded or supplied: the inelastic demand for cigarettes.
in′e·las·tic′i·ty (-ĭ-lă-stĭs′ĭ-tē) n.
1. not elastic; not resilient
2. (General Physics) physics (of collisions) involving an overall decrease in translational kinetic energy
in•e•las•tic(ˌɪn ɪˈlæs tɪk)
1. not elastic; lacking flexibility or resilience.
2. Econ. unresponsive, esp. to changes in market conditions.
in`e•las•tic′i•ty (-læˈstɪs ɪ ti) n.
Switch to new thesaurus
|Adj.||1.||inelastic - not elastic; "economists speak of an inelastic price structure"|
inflexible - resistant to being bent; "an inflexible iron bar"; "an inflexible knife blade";
elastic - capable of resuming original shape after stretching or compression; springy; "an elastic band"; "a youthful and elastic walk"