Also found in: Thesaurus, Medical, Encyclopedia, Wikipedia.
Related to infective: infective arthritis
Capable of producing infection; infectious.
in·fec′tive·ness, in′fec·tiv′i·ty n.
1. (Pathology) capable of causing infection
2. a less common word for infectious
inˈfectiveness, ˌinfecˈtivity n
1. communicable by infection, as from one person to another or from one part of the body to another.
2. causing or communicating infection.
3. tending to spread quickly and generally: infectious laughter.
4. Obs. diseased.
syn: See contagious.
Switch to new thesaurus
|Adj.||1.||infective - able to cause disease; "infective agents"; "pathogenic bacteria"|
unhealthful - detrimental to good health; "unhealthful air pollution"; "unhealthful conditions in old apartments with peeling lead-based paint"
|2.||infective - caused by infection or capable of causing infection; "viruses and other infective agents"; "a carrier remains infective without himself showing signs of the disease"|