infelicity(redirected from infelicities)
Also found in: Thesaurus.
n. pl. in·fe·lic·i·ties
1. The quality or condition of being infelicitous.
2. Something inappropriate or unpleasing.
[Middle English infelicite, from Latin īnfēlīcitās, from īnfēlīx, īnfēlīc-, unhappy : in-, not; see in-1 + fēlīx, happy; see dhē(i)- in Indo-European roots.]
American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, Fifth Edition. Copyright © 2016 by Houghton Mifflin Harcourt Publishing Company. Published by Houghton Mifflin Harcourt Publishing Company. All rights reserved.
n, pl -ties
1. the state or quality of being unhappy or unfortunate
2. an instance of bad luck or mischance; misfortune
3. something, esp a remark or expression, that is inapt or inappropriate
Collins English Dictionary – Complete and Unabridged, 12th Edition 2014 © HarperCollins Publishers 1991, 1994, 1998, 2000, 2003, 2006, 2007, 2009, 2011, 2014
in•fe•lic•i•ty(ˌɪn fəˈlɪs ɪ ti)
n., pl. -ties.
1. the quality or state of being unhappy; unhappiness.
2. misfortune; bad luck.
3. an unfortunate circumstance.
4. inaptness or inappropriateness, as of action or expression.
5. something infelicitous: infelicities of prose style.
Random House Kernerman Webster's College Dictionary, © 2010 K Dictionaries Ltd. Copyright 2005, 1997, 1991 by Random House, Inc. All rights reserved.
Switch to new thesaurus
|Noun||1.||infelicity - inappropriate and unpleasing manner or style (especially manner or style of expression)|
inappropriateness, unworthiness - the quality of being not particularly suitable or befitting; "he retracted nothing that he had said about the inappropriateness of either a corporeal God or a God who is a person"; "his praise released from her loud protestations of her unworthiness"
Based on WordNet 3.0, Farlex clipart collection. © 2003-2012 Princeton University, Farlex Inc.
infelicity[ˌɪnfɪˈlɪsɪtɪ] N (frm) → inoportunidad f
Collins Spanish Dictionary - Complete and Unabridged 8th Edition 2005 © William Collins Sons & Co. Ltd. 1971, 1988 © HarperCollins Publishers 1992, 1993, 1996, 1997, 2000, 2003, 2005
Collins German Dictionary – Complete and Unabridged 7th Edition 2005. © William Collins Sons & Co. Ltd. 1980 © HarperCollins Publishers 1991, 1997, 1999, 2004, 2005, 2007