Also found in: Thesaurus, Medical, Financial, Acronyms, Idioms, Encyclopedia, Wikipedia.
n. pl. in·fer·nos
1. A place or condition suggestive of hell, especially with respect to human suffering or death: the inferno of battle.
2. A place of fiery heat or destruction.
[Italian, hell, from Late Latin īnfernus; see infernal.]
n, pl -nos
1. (Theology) the inferno (sometimes capital) hell; the infernal region
2. any place or state resembling hell, esp a conflagration
[C19: from Italian, from Late Latin infernus hell]
n., pl. -nos.
1. hell; the infernal regions.
2. a place or region that resembles hell, esp. in intense heat.
[1825–35; < Italian < Late Latin infernus hell, n. use of Latin infernus; see infernal]
Switch to new thesaurus
|Noun||1.||inferno - any place of pain and turmoil; "the hell of battle"; "the inferno of the engine room"; "when you're alone Christmas is the pits";|
|2.||inferno - a very intense and uncontrolled fire|
fire - the event of something burning (often destructive); "they lost everything in the fire"
wildfire - a raging and rapidly spreading conflagration
|3.||Inferno - (Christianity) the abode of Satan and the forces of evil; where sinners suffer eternal punishment; "Hurl'd headlong...To bottomless perdition, there to dwell"- John Milton; "a demon from the depths of the pit"; "Hell is paved with good intentions"-Dr. Johnson|
fictitious place, imaginary place, mythical place - a place that exists only in imagination; a place said to exist in fictional or religious writings