insectivore(redirected from Insectivores)
Also found in: Thesaurus, Medical, Encyclopedia.
Related to Insectivores: Insectivora
1. Any of various small, principally nocturnal mammals that characteristically feed chiefly on insects and other small invertebrates, and including the shrews, moles, and hedgehogs.
2. An insectivorous organism.
[New Latin Īnsectivora, order name : Latin īnsectum, insect; see insect + Latin -vora, neuter pl. of -vorus, -vorous.]
American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, Fifth Edition. Copyright © 2016 by Houghton Mifflin Harcourt Publishing Company. Published by Houghton Mifflin Harcourt Publishing Company. All rights reserved.
1. (Animals) any placental mammal of the order Insectivora, being typically small, with simple teeth, and feeding on invertebrates. The group includes shrews, moles, and hedgehogs
2. (Biology) any animal or plant that derives nourishment from insects
Collins English Dictionary – Complete and Unabridged, 12th Edition 2014 © HarperCollins Publishers 1991, 1994, 1998, 2000, 2003, 2006, 2007, 2009, 2011, 2014
in•sec•ti•vore(ɪnˈsɛk təˌvɔr, -ˌvoʊr)
1. an insectivorous animal or plant.
2. any mammal of the order Insectivora, including moles, shrews, and hedgehogs.
Random House Kernerman Webster's College Dictionary, © 2010 K Dictionaries Ltd. Copyright 2005, 1997, 1991 by Random House, Inc. All rights reserved.
1. An animal or plant that feeds mainly on insects.
2. Any of an order of mammals that are small, eat insects and other invertebrate animals, and are usually active at night. The moles, shrews, and hedgehogs are examples of insectivores.
The American Heritage® Student Science Dictionary, Second Edition. Copyright © 2014 by Houghton Mifflin Harcourt Publishing Company. Published by Houghton Mifflin Harcourt Publishing Company. All rights reserved.
Switch to new thesaurus
|Noun||1.||insectivore - small insect-eating mainly nocturnal terrestrial or fossorial mammals|
eutherian, eutherian mammal, placental, placental mammal - mammals having a placenta; all mammals except monotremes and marsupials
mole - small velvety-furred burrowing mammal having small eyes and fossorial forefeet
Erinaceus europaeus, Erinaceus europeaeus, hedgehog - small nocturnal Old World mammal covered with both hair and protective spines
|2.||insectivore - any organism that feeds mainly on insects|
Based on WordNet 3.0, Farlex clipart collection. © 2003-2012 Princeton University, Farlex Inc.