interbreed(redirected from interbreeds)
Also found in: Thesaurus, Medical.
Related to interbreeds: hybridising
v. in·ter·bred (-brĕd′), in·ter·breed·ing, in·ter·breeds
1. To breed with individuals of another species, subspecies, or variety; crossbreed: dogs interbreeding with wolves.
2. To breed regularly with others of the same kind: a species as a group of individuals that interbreed.
To cause to interbreed.
American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, Fifth Edition. Copyright © 2016 by Houghton Mifflin Harcourt Publishing Company. Published by Houghton Mifflin Harcourt Publishing Company. All rights reserved.
vb, -breeds, -breeding or -bred
1. (Biology) (intr) to breed within a single family or strain so as to produce particular characteristics in the offspring
2. (Biology) another term for crossbreed1
Collins English Dictionary – Complete and Unabridged, 12th Edition 2014 © HarperCollins Publishers 1991, 1994, 1998, 2000, 2003, 2006, 2007, 2009, 2011, 2014
v. -bred, -breed•ing. v.t.
1. to crossbreed (a plant or animal).
2. to cause to breed together.v.i.
3. to crossbreed; hybridize.
4. to breed or mate with a closely related individual, as in a small, closed population.
Random House Kernerman Webster's College Dictionary, © 2010 K Dictionaries Ltd. Copyright 2005, 1997, 1991 by Random House, Inc. All rights reserved.
Past participle: interbred
Collins English Verb Tables © HarperCollins Publishers 2011
Switch to new thesaurus
|Verb||1.||interbreed - breed animals or plants using parents of different races and varieties; "cross a horse and a donkey"; "Mendel tried crossbreeding"; "these species do not interbreed"|
breed - cause to procreate (animals); "She breeds dogs"
backcross - mate a hybrid of the first generation with one of its parents
Based on WordNet 3.0, Farlex clipart collection. © 2003-2012 Princeton University, Farlex Inc.
Collins Spanish Dictionary - Complete and Unabridged 8th Edition 2005 © William Collins Sons & Co. Ltd. 1971, 1988 © HarperCollins Publishers 1992, 1993, 1996, 1997, 2000, 2003, 2005
vt → kreuzen
Collins German Dictionary – Complete and Unabridged 7th Edition 2005. © William Collins Sons & Co. Ltd. 1980 © HarperCollins Publishers 1991, 1997, 1999, 2004, 2005, 2007