Also found in: Medical, Encyclopedia, Wikipedia.
1. The open spaces between the columns in a colonnade.
2. The system by which the columns in a colonnade are spaced.
American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, Fifth Edition. Copyright © 2016 by Houghton Mifflin Harcourt Publishing Company. Published by Houghton Mifflin Harcourt Publishing Company. All rights reserved.
1. (Architecture) the horizontal distance between two adjacent columns
2. (Architecture) the system of spacing for a set of columns
[C17: from Latin intercolumnium space between two columns]
Collins English Dictionary – Complete and Unabridged, 12th Edition 2014 © HarperCollins Publishers 1991, 1994, 1998, 2000, 2003, 2006, 2007, 2009, 2011, 2014
in•ter•co•lum•ni•a•tion(ˌɪn tər kəˌlʌm niˈeɪ ʃən)
1. the space between two adjacent columns, esp. the clear space between the lower parts of the shafts.
2. the system of spacing between columns.
[1655–65; < Latin intercolumni(um) space between columns]
Random House Kernerman Webster's College Dictionary, © 2010 K Dictionaries Ltd. Copyright 2005, 1997, 1991 by Random House, Inc. All rights reserved.
the space between columns; the pattern of spacing between columns.See also: Architecture
-Ologies & -Isms. Copyright 2008 The Gale Group, Inc. All rights reserved.