mediastinum(redirected from interpulmonary septum)
Also found in: Thesaurus, Medical, Encyclopedia.
n. pl. me·di·as·ti·na (-nə)
The region in mammals between the pleural sacs, containing the heart and all of the thoracic viscera except the lungs.
[New Latin mediastīnum, from neuter of Medieval Latin mediastīnus, medial, middle, from Latin, servant employed on general tasks (Medieval Latin anatomical sense probably influenced by Latin intestīnum, intestine), from medius, middle; see medhyo- in Indo-European roots.]
me′di·as·ti′nal (-nəl) adj.
American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, Fifth Edition. Copyright © 2016 by Houghton Mifflin Harcourt Publishing Company. Published by Houghton Mifflin Harcourt Publishing Company. All rights reserved.
n, pl -na (-nə)
1. (Anatomy) a membrane between two parts of an organ or cavity such as the pleural tissue between the two lungs
2. (Anatomy) the part of the thoracic cavity that lies between the lungs, containing the heart, trachea, etc
[C16: from medical Latin, neuter of Medieval Latin mediastīnus median, from Latin: low grade of servant, from medius mean]
Collins English Dictionary – Complete and Unabridged, 12th Edition 2014 © HarperCollins Publishers 1991, 1994, 1998, 2000, 2003, 2006, 2007, 2009, 2011, 2014
me•di•as•ti•num(ˌmi di æˈstaɪ nəm)
n., pl. -na (-nə)
1. a median septum or partition between two parts of an organ or paired cavities of the body.
2. the area in the chest that lies between the lungs, is bounded by the sternum, the spinal column, and the diaphragm, and contains the heart, esophagus, trachea, and other thoracic structures.
[1535–45; < New Latin < Medieval Latin mediastīnus middle class, derivative of Latin medius mid1]
Random House Kernerman Webster's College Dictionary, © 2010 K Dictionaries Ltd. Copyright 2005, 1997, 1991 by Random House, Inc. All rights reserved.
Switch to new thesaurus
|Noun||1.||mediastinum - the part of the thoracic cavity between the lungs that contains the heart and aorta and esophagus and trachea and thymus|
Based on WordNet 3.0, Farlex clipart collection. © 2003-2012 Princeton University, Farlex Inc.
1. cavidad entre dos órganos;
2. masa de tejidos y órganos que separa los pulmones.
English-Spanish Medical Dictionary © Farlex 2012
English-Spanish/Spanish-English Medical Dictionary Copyright © 2006 by The McGraw-Hill Companies, Inc. All rights reserved.