Also found in: Thesaurus, Encyclopedia, Wikipedia.
Related to interrupter: Interrupter gear
1. One that interrupts: an inveterate interrupter of other people's conversations.
2. Electronics A device that periodically and automatically opens and closes an electric circuit, producing pulses.
American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, Fifth Edition. Copyright © 2016 by Houghton Mifflin Harcourt Publishing Company. Published by Houghton Mifflin Harcourt Publishing Company. All rights reserved.
1. a person or thing that interrupts
2. (Electronics) an electromechanical device for opening and closing an electric circuit
Collins English Dictionary – Complete and Unabridged, 12th Edition 2014 © HarperCollins Publishers 1991, 1994, 1998, 2000, 2003, 2006, 2007, 2009, 2011, 2014
or in•ter•rup•tor(ˌɪn təˈrʌp tər)
1. a person or thing that interrupts.
2. a device for interrupting or periodically opening and closing a circuit, as in a doorbell.
Random House Kernerman Webster's College Dictionary, © 2010 K Dictionaries Ltd. Copyright 2005, 1997, 1991 by Random House, Inc. All rights reserved.
Switch to new thesaurus
|Noun||1.||interrupter - a device for automatically interrupting an electric current|
device - an instrumentality invented for a particular purpose; "the device is small enough to wear on your wrist"; "a device intended to conserve water"
Based on WordNet 3.0, Farlex clipart collection. © 2003-2012 Princeton University, Farlex Inc.
n (Elec) → Unterbrecher m
Collins German Dictionary – Complete and Unabridged 7th Edition 2005. © William Collins Sons & Co. Ltd. 1980 © HarperCollins Publishers 1991, 1997, 1999, 2004, 2005, 2007