Also found in: Thesaurus, Medical, Encyclopedia.
1. The act or process of swelling or the condition of being swollen.
2. A swollen organ or body part.
American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, Fifth Edition. Copyright © 2016 by Houghton Mifflin Harcourt Publishing Company. Published by Houghton Mifflin Harcourt Publishing Company. All rights reserved.
1. (Pathology) pathol a swelling up, as with blood or other fluid
2. (Pathology) pathol a swollen organ or part
3. (Chemistry) chem the swelling of certain substances on heating, often accompanied by the escape of water vapour
Collins English Dictionary – Complete and Unabridged, 12th Edition 2014 © HarperCollins Publishers 1991, 1994, 1998, 2000, 2003, 2006, 2007, 2009, 2011, 2014
in•tu•mes•cence(ˌɪn tʊˈmɛs əns, -tyʊ-)
1. a swelling up, as with congestion.
2. a swollen mass.
[1650–60; < French]
Random House Kernerman Webster's College Dictionary, © 2010 K Dictionaries Ltd. Copyright 2005, 1997, 1991 by Random House, Inc. All rights reserved.
Switch to new thesaurus
|Noun||1.||intumescence - swelling up with blood or other fluids (as with congestion)|
haematoma - a localized swelling filled with blood
|2.||intumescence - the increase in volume of certain substances when they are heated (often accompanied by release of water)|
Based on WordNet 3.0, Farlex clipart collection. © 2003-2012 Princeton University, Farlex Inc.