Also found in: Acronyms, Encyclopedia, Wikipedia.
A city of northern Scotland on the Moray Firth at the terminus of the Caledonian Canal.
in·ver·nessalso In·ver·ness (ĭn′vər-nĕs′)
1. A long, loose overcoat with a detachable cape having a round collar.
2. The cape of such an overcoat.
1. (Placename) a city in N Scotland, administrative centre of Highland: tourism and specialized engineering. Pop: 40 949 (2001)
2. (Clothing & Fashion) (sometimes not capital) an overcoat with a removable cape
In•ver•ness(ˌɪn vərˈnɛs, ˈɪn vərˌnɛs)
1. Also called In`ver•ness′shire (-ʃɪər, -ʃər) a historic county in NW Scotland.
2. a seaport in the Highland region, in N Scotland. 61,077; 1080 sq. mi. (2797 sq. km).
3. (often l.c.) an overcoat with a removable cape.
4. a long, full, wool or worsted cape, often in a plaid pattern.