Also found in: Thesaurus, Medical, Acronyms, Encyclopedia, Wikipedia.
Related to inverter: inverter circuit
1. One that inverts or produces inversion.
2. A device used to convert direct current into alternating current.
3. An electronic device whose output reverses the sign of its input current or voltage, thereby shifting the phase of alternating current signals by 180 degrees. Also called phase inverter.
American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, Fifth Edition. Copyright © 2016 by Houghton Mifflin Harcourt Publishing Company. Published by Houghton Mifflin Harcourt Publishing Company. All rights reserved.
1. (Electronics) any device for converting a direct current into an alternating current
2. (Computer Science) computing another name for NOT circuit
1. a person or thing that inverts.
2. a device that converts direct current into alternating current. Compare converter.
Random House Kernerman Webster's College Dictionary, © 2010 K Dictionaries Ltd. Copyright 2005, 1997, 1991 by Random House, Inc. All rights reserved.
In electrical engineering, a device for converting direct current into alternating current. See also rectifier.
Dictionary of Military and Associated Terms. US Department of Defense 2005.
Switch to new thesaurus
|Noun||1.||inverter - an electrical converter that converts direct current into alternating current|
electrical converter - converter that converts alternating current into direct current or vice versa
Based on WordNet 3.0, Farlex clipart collection. © 2003-2012 Princeton University, Farlex Inc.