inverter(redirected from inverters)
Also found in: Thesaurus, Encyclopedia.
1. One that inverts or produces inversion.
2. A device used to convert direct current into alternating current.
3. An electronic device whose output reverses the sign of its input current or voltage, thereby shifting the phase of alternating current signals by 180 degrees. Also called phase inverter.
1. (Electronics) any device for converting a direct current into an alternating current
2. (Computer Science) computing another name for NOT circuit
1. a person or thing that inverts.
2. a device that converts direct current into alternating current. Compare converter.
In electrical engineering, a device for converting direct current into alternating current. See also rectifier.