Also found in: Thesaurus, Medical, Encyclopedia, Wikipedia.
1. Rainbow: iridescent.
2. Iris of the eye: iridectomy.
3. Iridium: iridosmine.
American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, Fifth Edition. Copyright © 2016 by Houghton Mifflin Harcourt Publishing Company. Published by Houghton Mifflin Harcourt Publishing Company. All rights reserved.
irido-or before a vowel
1. (Anatomy) denoting the iris of the eye or the genus of plants: iridaceous.
2. denoting a rainbow: iridescent.
[from Latin irid-, iris]
Collins English Dictionary – Complete and Unabridged, 12th Edition 2014 © HarperCollins Publishers 1991, 1994, 1998, 2000, 2003, 2006, 2007, 2009, 2011, 2014
n., pl. i•ris•es; esp. for 1,8 ir•i•des (ˈɪr ɪˌdiz, ˈaɪ rɪ-) for 2,3 i•ris; n.
1. the contractile, circular diaphragm forming the colored portion of the eye and containing an opening, the pupil, in its center.
2. any plant of the genus Iris, having flowers with three upright petals and three drooping, petallike sepals.
3. a flower of this plant.
4. (cap.) an ancient Greek goddess of the rainbow and messenger of the gods.
5. a rainbow.
[1350–1400; Middle English < Latin Īris, īris < Greek Îris, îris rainbow]
Random House Kernerman Webster's College Dictionary, © 2010 K Dictionaries Ltd. Copyright 2005, 1997, 1991 by Random House, Inc. All rights reserved.