Also found in: Thesaurus, Medical, Encyclopedia, Wikipedia.
Related to irradiation: gamma irradiation, Blood Irradiation
1. The act of exposing or the condition of being exposed to radiation.
2. The use or application of ionizing radiation, especially in medical treatment and for the sterilization or preservation of food.
1. (General Physics) the act or process of irradiating or the state of being irradiated
2. (General Physics) the apparent enlargement of a brightly lit object when it is viewed against a dark background
3. a shaft of light; beam or ray
4. (Medicine) med
a. the therapeutic or diagnostic use of radiation, esp X-rays
b. exposure of a patient to such radiation
ir•ra•di•a•tion(ɪˌreɪ diˈeɪ ʃən)
1. the act of irradiating or the state of being irradiated.
2. a ray of light; beam.
3. Optics. the apparent enlargement of an object when seen against a dark background.
4. the use of x-rays or other forms of radiation for treatment of disease, manufacture of vitamin D, etc.
5. exposure to x-rays or other radiation.
[1585–95; < Late Latin]
Switch to new thesaurus
|Noun||1.||irradiation - the condition of being exposed to radiation|
|2.||irradiation - a column of light (as from a beacon)|
heat ray - a ray that produces a thermal effect
high beam - the beam of a car's headlights that provides distant illumination
light, visible light, visible radiation - (physics) electromagnetic radiation that can produce a visual sensation; "the light was filtered through a soft glass window"
laser beam - a beam of light generated by a laser
low beam - the beam of a car's headlights that provides illumination for a short distance
|3.||irradiation - (physiology) the spread of sensory neural impulses in the cortex|
physiology - the branch of the biological sciences dealing with the functioning of organisms
|4.||irradiation - the apparent enlargement of a bright object when viewed against a dark background|
|5.||irradiation - (Pavolvian conditioning) the elicitation of a conditioned response by stimulation similar but not identical to the original stimulus|
|6.||irradiation - (medicine) the treatment of disease (especially cancer) by exposure to a radioactive substance|
therapy - (medicine) the act of caring for someone (as by medication or remedial training etc.); "the quarterback is undergoing treatment for a knee injury"; "he tried every treatment the doctors suggested"; "heat therapy gave the best relief"
phototherapy - the use of strong light to treat acne or hyperbilirubinemia of the newborn
X-ray therapy - the therapeutic use of X rays
irradiation[ɪˌreɪdɪˈeɪʃən] N → irradiación f
irradiation[ɪˌreɪdɪˈeɪʃ/ən] n (Phys) → irradiazione f
n. irradiación, uso terapéutico de radiaciones.