isometry(redirected from Isometries)
Also found in: Thesaurus, Medical, Encyclopedia.
Related to Isometries: Group of isometries
1. Equality of measure.
2. Equality of elevation above sea level.
3. Mathematics A function between metric spaces which preserves distances, such as a rotation or translation in a plane.
4. Biology A proportional change in the size of a part or parts of an organism as the organism grows.
1. (Mathematics) maths rigid motion of a plane or space such that the distance between any two points before and after this motion is unaltered
2. (Physical Geography) equality of height above sea level
i•som•e•try(aɪˈsɒm ɪ tri)
1. equality of measure.
2. equality with respect to height above sea level.
equality of measure. — isometric, isometrical, adj.See also: Measurement
Switch to new thesaurus
|Noun||1.||isometry - the growth rates in different parts of a growing organism are the same|
growing, growth, ontogenesis, ontogeny, maturation, development - (biology) the process of an individual organism growing organically; a purely biological unfolding of events involved in an organism changing gradually from a simple to a more complex level; "he proposed an indicator of osseous development in children"
|2.||isometry - a one-to-one mapping of one metric space into another metric space that preserves the distances between each pair of points; "the isometries of the cube"|
|3.||isometry - equality of elevation above sea level|
elevation - distance of something above a reference point (such as sea level); "there was snow at the higher elevations"
|4.||isometry - equality of measure (e.g., equality of height above sea level or equality of loudness etc.)|
equality - the quality of being the same in quantity or measure or value or status