Also found in: Medical, Wikipedia.
1. Of, relating to, or forming an isthmus.
2. Of or relating to the Isthmus of Corinth, especially with regard to the biennial Pan-Hellenic games held there in antiquity.
American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, Fifth Edition. Copyright © 2016 by Houghton Mifflin Harcourt Publishing Company. Published by Houghton Mifflin Harcourt Publishing Company. All rights reserved.
isthmian(ˈɪsθmɪən; ˈɪstmɪən; ˈɪsmɪən) or
(Physical Geography) relating to or situated in an isthmus
Isthmian(ˈɪsθmɪən; ˈɪstmɪən; ˈɪsmɪən)
(Placename) relating to or situated in the Isthmus of Corinth or the Isthmus of Panama
Collins English Dictionary – Complete and Unabridged, 12th Edition 2014 © HarperCollins Publishers 1991, 1994, 1998, 2000, 2003, 2006, 2007, 2009, 2011, 2014
isth•mi•an(ˈɪs mi ən)
1. of or pertaining to an isthmus.
2. (cap.) of or pertaining to the Isthmus of Corinth or the Isthmus of Panama.n.
3. a native or inhabitant of an isthmus.
[1595–1605; < Latin isthmi(us) (< Greek ísthmios of a neck of land, derivative of isthmós isthmus)]
Random House Kernerman Webster's College Dictionary, © 2010 K Dictionaries Ltd. Copyright 2005, 1997, 1991 by Random House, Inc. All rights reserved.
a person who is a native or inhabitant of an isthmus. — isthmian, adj.See also: Anthropology
-Ologies & -Isms. Copyright 2008 The Gale Group, Inc. All rights reserved.
|Adj.||1.||isthmian - of or relating to or forming an isthmus|
Based on WordNet 3.0, Farlex clipart collection. © 2003-2012 Princeton University, Farlex Inc.