j(redirected from j's)
Also found in: Thesaurus, Medical, Legal, Financial, Encyclopedia.
1. Games jack
2. or j joule
j 1or J (jā)
n. pl. j's or J's also js or Js
1. The tenth letter of the modern English alphabet.
2. Any of the speech sounds represented by the letter j.
3. The tenth in a series.
4. Something shaped like the letter J.
5. J The hypothetical source of those portions of the Pentateuch in which God is referred to with the Tetragrammaton rather than as Elohim.
[Sense 5, from J(ehovah).]
j 2or J
The symbol for current density.
American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, Fifth Edition. Copyright © 2016 by Houghton Mifflin Harcourt Publishing Company. Published by Houghton Mifflin Harcourt Publishing Company. All rights reserved.
n, pl j's, J's or Js
1. (Linguistics) the tenth letter and seventh consonant of the modern English alphabet
2. (Phonetics & Phonology) a speech sound represented by this letter, in English usually a voiced palato-alveolar affricate, as in jam
1. (Mathematics) maths the unit vector along the y-axis
2. (General Physics) obsolete Also called: i the imaginary number √–1
1. (General Physics) cards jack
2. (Journalism & Publishing) joule(s)
3. (Electronics) current density
(Automotive Engineering) Japan (international car registration)
Collins English Dictionary – Complete and Unabridged, 12th Edition 2014 © HarperCollins Publishers 1991, 1994, 1998, 2000, 2003, 2006, 2007, 2009, 2011, 2014
n., pl. Js J's, js j's.
1. the tenth letter of the English alphabet, a consonant.
2. any spoken sound represented by this letter.
3. something having the shape of a J.
4. a written or printed representation of the letter J or j.
the tenth in order or in a series.
1. a unit vector on the y-axis of a coordinate system.
2. the imaginary number (-1)^(1/2).
Random House Kernerman Webster's College Dictionary, © 2010 K Dictionaries Ltd. Copyright 2005, 1997, 1991 by Random House, Inc. All rights reserved.
Switch to new thesaurus
|Noun||1.||J - a unit of electrical energy equal to the work done when a current of one ampere passes through a resistance of one ohm for one second|
erg - a cgs unit of work or energy; the work done by a force of one dyne acting over a distance of one centimeter
|2.||j - the 10th letter of the Roman alphabet|
Latin alphabet, Roman alphabet - the alphabet evolved by the ancient Romans which serves for writing most of the languages of western Europe
Based on WordNet 3.0, Farlex clipart collection. © 2003-2012 Princeton University, Farlex Inc.
Jj [dʒeɪ] N (= letter) → J, j f
J for Jack → J de José
Collins Spanish Dictionary - Complete and Unabridged 8th Edition 2005 © William Collins Sons & Co. Ltd. 1971, 1988 © HarperCollins Publishers 1992, 1993, 1996, 1997, 2000, 2003, 2005
Jj [ˈdʒeɪ] n (= letter) → J, j m
J for Jack (British) J for Jig (US) → J comme Joseph
Collins English/French Electronic Resource. © HarperCollins Publishers 2005
n → J nt, → j nt
Collins German Dictionary – Complete and Unabridged 7th Edition 2005. © William Collins Sons & Co. Ltd. 1980 © HarperCollins Publishers 1991, 1997, 1999, 2004, 2005, 2007
Jj [dʒeɪ] n (letter) → J, j f or m inv
J for Jack (Am) J for Jig → J come jolly
Collins Italian Dictionary 1st Edition © HarperCollins Publishers 1995