Also found in: Thesaurus, Encyclopedia, Wikipedia.
n. pl. jack-o'-lanterns
1. A lantern made from a hollowed pumpkin with a carved face, usually displayed on Halloween.
2. See ignis fatuus.
[From earlier Jack-with-a-lantern, man with a lantern, will-o'-the-wisp.]
1. a lantern made from a hollowed pumpkin, which has holes cut in it to represent a human face
2. (Physical Geography) a will-o'-the-wisp or similar phenomenon
jack-o'-lan•tern(ˈdʒæk əˌlæn tərn)
1. a hollowed pumpkin with openings cut to represent a human face, traditionally displayed at Halloween, often with a candle or other light inside.
2. any phenomenon of light, as a corona discharge or an ignis fatuus.
3. a poisonous luminescent orange fungus, Omphalotus olearius, that grows in clusters at the base of tree stumps.
Switch to new thesaurus
|Noun||1.||jack-o'-lantern - a pale light sometimes seen at night over marshy ground|
|2.||jack-o'-lantern - lantern carved from a pumpkin|
lantern - light in a transparent protective case