Also found in: Thesaurus, Idioms, Encyclopedia, Wikipedia.
1. Any of several mammals of the genus Canis of Africa, Asia, and southeast Europe, that are chiefly foragers feeding on plants, small animals, and occasionally carrion.
a. One who seeks to gain advantage or profit from the difficulties of another.
b. One who performs menial tasks for another.
[Turkish çakal (influenced in English by Jack, man, fellow), from Persian šaghāl, from Middle Indic sigāl, from Sanskrit śṛgālaḥ, of unknown origin.]
American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, Fifth Edition. Copyright © 2016 by Houghton Mifflin Harcourt Publishing Company. Published by Houghton Mifflin Harcourt Publishing Company. All rights reserved.
1. (Animals) any of several African or S Asian canine mammals of the genus Canis, closely related to the dog, having long legs and pointed ears and muzzle: predators and carrion-eaters
2. a person who does menial tasks for another
3. a villain, esp a swindler
[C17: from Turkish chakāl, from Persian shagāl, from Sanskrit srgāla]
Collins English Dictionary – Complete and Unabridged, 12th Edition 2014 © HarperCollins Publishers 1991, 1994, 1998, 2000, 2003, 2006, 2007, 2009, 2011, 2014
jack•al(ˈdʒæk əl, -ɔl)
1. any of several nocturnal wild dogs of the genus Canis, esp. C. aureus, of Asia and Africa, that scavenge or hunt in packs.
2. a person who performs dishonest or base deeds as the accomplice of another.
3. a person who performs menial or degrading tasks for another.
[1595–1605; < alter. of Persian shag(h)āl]
Random House Kernerman Webster's College Dictionary, © 2010 K Dictionaries Ltd. Copyright 2005, 1997, 1991 by Random House, Inc. All rights reserved.
Switch to new thesaurus
|Noun||1.||jackal - Old World nocturnal canine mammal closely related to the dog; smaller than a wolf; sometimes hunts in a pack but usually singly or as a member of a pair|
Based on WordNet 3.0, Farlex clipart collection. © 2003-2012 Princeton University, Farlex Inc.
jackal[ˈdʒækɔːl] N → chacal m
Collins Spanish Dictionary - Complete and Unabridged 8th Edition 2005 © William Collins Sons & Co. Ltd. 1971, 1988 © HarperCollins Publishers 1992, 1993, 1996, 1997, 2000, 2003, 2005
jackal[ˈdʒækɔːl] n → chacal m
Collins English/French Electronic Resource. © HarperCollins Publishers 2005
n → Schakal m
Collins German Dictionary – Complete and Unabridged 7th Edition 2005. © William Collins Sons & Co. Ltd. 1980 © HarperCollins Publishers 1991, 1997, 1999, 2004, 2005, 2007
jackal[ˈdʒækɔːl] n → sciacallo
Collins Italian Dictionary 1st Edition © HarperCollins Publishers 1995
jackal(ˈdʒӕkoːl) , ((American) -kl) noun
a type of wild animal similar to a dog or wolf. jakkals إبْن آوى чакал chacal šakal der Schakal sjakal τσακάλιchacal ðaakal شغال shakaali chacalתן सियार šakal, čagalj sakál anjing hutan sjakali sciacallo ジャッカル 자칼(인도와 북아프리카산의 야생의 개) šakalas šakā-lis serigala jakhalssjakalszakal چغال chacal şacal шакал šakal šakal šakal schakal หมาใน çakal 豺 шакал گیدڑ chó rừng 豺
Kernerman English Multilingual Dictionary © 2006-2013 K Dictionaries Ltd.