jackleg(redirected from jacklegs)
Also found in: Encyclopedia.
jack·leg(jăk′lĕg′) Chiefly Southern & South Midland US
1. Lacking skill or training; incompetent. Used especially of lawyers or preachers.
2. Unscrupulous or dishonest.
3. Makeshift; temporary.
1. An unskilled or unscrupulous itinerant worker.
2. A strikebreaker.
American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, Fifth Edition. Copyright © 2016 by Houghton Mifflin Harcourt Publishing Company. Published by Houghton Mifflin Harcourt Publishing Company. All rights reserved.
amateur; untrained; incompetent
Collins English Dictionary – Complete and Unabridged, 12th Edition 2014 © HarperCollins Publishers 1991, 1994, 1998, 2000, 2003, 2006, 2007, 2009, 2011, 2014
Chiefly South Midland and Southern U.S. adj.
1. unskilled or untrained; amateur.
2. lacking professional scruples; unethical.
3. makeshift; temporary.n.
4. an unskilled or unscrupulous itinerant worker or practitioner.
Random House Kernerman Webster's College Dictionary, © 2010 K Dictionaries Ltd. Copyright 2005, 1997, 1991 by Random House, Inc. All rights reserved.