Also found in: Thesaurus, Medical, Encyclopedia, Wikipedia.
Related to jaeger: Reiss
1. (also jā′gər) Any of several migratory seabirds of the genus Stercorarius that breed in Arctic regions and harass smaller birds to snatch the food they drop.
2. A hunter or hunting attendant.
[German Jäger, hunter, jaeger, from Middle High German jeger, from Old High German jagāri, from jagōn, to hunt.]
American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, Fifth Edition. Copyright © 2016 by Houghton Mifflin Harcourt Publishing Company. Published by Houghton Mifflin Harcourt Publishing Company. All rights reserved.
nAlso (for senses 1, 2, 4): jager or jäger
1. (Military) military a marksman in certain units of the German or Austrian armies
2. (Military) a member of a light or mountain infantry unit in some European armies
3. (Animals) US and Canadian any of several skuas of the genus Stercorarius
4. (Hunting) rare a hunter or hunter's attendant
[C18: from German Jäger hunter, from jagen to hunt; see yacht]
Collins English Dictionary – Complete and Unabridged, 12th Edition 2014 © HarperCollins Publishers 1991, 1994, 1998, 2000, 2003, 2006, 2007, 2009, 2011, 2014
jae•ger(ˈyeɪ gər; for 1 also ˈdʒeɪ-)
1. any of several gull-like, dark-colored seabirds of the genus Stercorarius (family Stercorariidae) that pursue gulls and terns in order to rob them of their prey.
2. a hunter.
[1770–80; < German Jäger hunter =jag(en) to hunt + -er -er1]
Random House Kernerman Webster's College Dictionary, © 2010 K Dictionaries Ltd. Copyright 2005, 1997, 1991 by Random House, Inc. All rights reserved.
Switch to new thesaurus
|Noun||1.||jaeger - rapacious seabird that pursues weaker birds to make them drop their prey|
coastal diving bird - gull family; skimmer family; jaeger family; auk family
Based on WordNet 3.0, Farlex clipart collection. © 2003-2012 Princeton University, Farlex Inc.