javelin(redirected from Javelins)
Also found in: Thesaurus, Encyclopedia.
1. A light spear thrown with the hand and used as a weapon.
a. A metal or metal-tipped spear thrown for distance in track and field competitions. The men's javelin is about 2.6 meters (8 1/2 feet) in length; the women's is about 2.2 meters (7 1/4 feet) in length.
b. The athletic field event in which a javelin is thrown.
[Middle English, from Old French javeline, diminutive of javelot, of Celtic origin.]
1. (Athletics (Track & Field)) a long pointed spear thrown as a weapon or in competitive field events
2. (Athletics (Track & Field)) the javelin the event or sport of throwing the javelin
[C16: from Old French javeline, variant of javelot, of Celtic origin]
jave•lin(ˈdʒæv lɪn, ˈdʒæv ə-)
1. a light spear, usu. thrown by hand.
2. a spearlike shaft about 8½ ft. (2.7 m) long and usu. made of wood, used in throwing for distance as a field event.
[1505–15; < Middle French javeline, alter. of javelot, Anglo-French gavelot, gaveloc, probably < Old English gafeluc, *gafeloc « British Celtic *gablākos a spear with a forklike head]
Switch to new thesaurus
|Noun||1.||javelin - an athletic competition in which a javelin is thrown as far as possible|
field event - a competition that takes place on a field rather than on a running track
|2.||javelin - a spear thrown as a weapon or in competitive field events|
sports equipment - equipment needed to participate in a particular sport
a light spear for throwing eg as an event in an athletic competition. spies رُمْح قَصير копие dardo oštěp der Wurfspeer spyd ακόντιοjabalina oda نیزه keihäänheitto javelot כדון, כידון बर्छी koplje gerely lembing (kast)spjót giavellotto 投げやり (투창용의) 창 ietis šķēps lembing speerspydoszczep نيزه dardo suliţă метательное копьё oštep kopje koplje spjut แหลน cirit 標槍 метальний спис; дротик چھوٹا نیزہ جسے دور تک پھینکنے کا مقابلہ ایک تفریحی کھیل ہے cái lao 标枪