jihad(redirected from jehads)
Also found in: Thesaurus, Financial, Encyclopedia.
1. Islam An individual's striving for spiritual self-perfection.
2. Islam A Muslim holy war or spiritual struggle for the propagation or defense of Islam.
3. A campaign against perceived foes, especially such a campaign regarded as fanatical or immoderate: "The war against smoking is turning into a jihad against people who smoke" (Fortune).
American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, Fifth Edition. Copyright © 2016 by Houghton Mifflin Harcourt Publishing Company. Published by Houghton Mifflin Harcourt Publishing Company. All rights reserved.
1. (Islam) Islam a holy war against infidels undertaken by Muslims in defence of the Islamic faith
2. (Islam) Islam the personal struggle of the individual believer against evil and persecution
3. rare a crusade in support of a cause
[C19: from Arabic jihād a conflict]
Collins English Dictionary – Complete and Unabridged, 12th Edition 2014 © HarperCollins Publishers 1991, 1994, 1998, 2000, 2003, 2006, 2007, 2009, 2011, 2014
1. a holy war undertaken as a sacred duty by Muslims.
2. any vigorous, emotional crusade for an idea or principle.
[1865–70; < Arabic jihād struggle, strife]
Random House Kernerman Webster's College Dictionary, © 2010 K Dictionaries Ltd. Copyright 2005, 1997, 1991 by Random House, Inc. All rights reserved.
An Arabic word meaning conflict, used especially to mean a holy war waged by Muslims against infidels.
Dictionary of Unfamiliar Words by Diagram Group Copyright © 2008 by Diagram Visual Information Limited
Switch to new thesaurus
|Noun||1.||jihad - a holy war waged by Muslims against infidels|
|2.||jihad - a holy struggle or striving by a Muslim for a moral or spiritual or political goal|
Based on WordNet 3.0, Farlex clipart collection. © 2003-2012 Princeton University, Farlex Inc.
jihad[dʒɪˈhæd] N (Rel) → jihad f (guerra santa musulmana)
Collins Spanish Dictionary - Complete and Unabridged 8th Edition 2005 © William Collins Sons & Co. Ltd. 1971, 1988 © HarperCollins Publishers 1992, 1993, 1996, 1997, 2000, 2003, 2005
Collins English/French Electronic Resource. © HarperCollins Publishers 2005
Collins German Dictionary – Complete and Unabridged 7th Edition 2005. © William Collins Sons & Co. Ltd. 1980 © HarperCollins Publishers 1991, 1997, 1999, 2004, 2005, 2007