jenny(redirected from jennies)
Also found in: Thesaurus, Medical, Encyclopedia.
Related to jennies: spinning jennies
n. pl. jen·nies
1. The female of certain animals, especially a donkey or a wren.
2. A spinning jenny.
[From the name Jenny.]
American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, Fifth Edition. Copyright © 2016 by Houghton Mifflin Harcourt Publishing Company. Published by Houghton Mifflin Harcourt Publishing Company. All rights reserved.
n, pl -nies
1. (Mechanical Engineering) a hand-operated machine for turning up the edge of a piece of sheet metal in preparation for making a joint
2. (Animals) the female of certain animals or birds, esp a donkey, ass, or wren
3. (Mechanical Engineering) short for spinning jenny
[C17: from the name Jenny, diminutive of Jane]
Collins English Dictionary – Complete and Unabridged, 12th Edition 2014 © HarperCollins Publishers 1991, 1994, 1998, 2000, 2003, 2006, 2007, 2009, 2011, 2014
n., pl. -nies.
2. the female of certain animals, esp. a female donkey or a female bird.
[1590–1600; generic use of Jenny, proper name]
Random House Kernerman Webster's College Dictionary, © 2010 K Dictionaries Ltd. Copyright 2005, 1997, 1991 by Random House, Inc. All rights reserved.
A female donkey, but it was also a name sometimes applied to female mules.
1001 Words and Phrases You Never Knew You Didn’t Know by W.R. Runyan Copyright © 2011 by W.R. Runyan
Collins German Dictionary – Complete and Unabridged 7th Edition 2005. © William Collins Sons & Co. Ltd. 1980 © HarperCollins Publishers 1991, 1997, 1999, 2004, 2005, 2007