Also found in: Thesaurus, Medical, Financial, Idioms, Encyclopedia, Wikipedia.
1. A person who jigs or operates a jig.
a. A small measure for liquor, usually holding 1 1/2 ounces.
b. This amount of liquor.
3. A device, such as a drill, that operates with a jerking or jolting motion.
a. A light all-purpose tackle.
b. A small sail set in the stern of a yawl or similar boat.
c. A boat having such a sail.
d. A jigger mast.
5. Informal An article or a device, the name of which eludes one.
[Probably variant of chigger or perhaps of West African origin; akin to Ewe jìgá and Yoruba jígá, chigoe (sand flea).]
tr.v. jig·gered, jig·ger·ing, jig·gers
To tamper with or manipulate (data, for example) so as to achieve a desired result.
[Probably frequentative of jig, to jerk up and down.]
1. a person or thing that jigs
2. (Golf) golf an iron, now obsolete, with a thin blade, used for hitting long shots from a bare lie
3. (Mechanical Engineering) any of a number of mechanical devices having a vibratory or jerking motion
4. (Mechanical Engineering) a light lifting tackle used on ships
5. (Units) a small glass, esp for whisky, with a capacity of about one and a half ounces
6. NZ a light hand- or power-propelled vehicle used on railway lines
7. (General Engineering) engineering a type of hydraulic lift in which a hydraulic ram operates the lift through a block and tackle which increases the length of the stroke
8. (Fishing) Canadian a device used when setting a gill net beneath ice
9. (Mining & Quarrying) mining another word for jig5
10. (Nautical Terms) nautical short for jiggermast
11. (Billiards & Snooker) billiards another word for bridge110
12. informal US and Canadian a device or thing the name of which is unknown or temporarily forgotten
13. dialect Liverpool an alleyway
(Animals) other names for the chigoe1
1. a person or thing that jigs.
2. any of various sails.
3. any of various mechanical devices, many of which have a jerky or jolting motion.
4. some contrivance, article, or part that one cannot or does not name more precisely.
a. a measure of 1½ oz. (45 ml) used in cocktail recipes.
b. a small whiskey glass holding this amount.
6. a machine for forming ceramic plates or the like in a plaster mold rotating beneath a template.
1. Also called jig′ger flea`. chigoe.
[1750–60; variant of chigger]
1. to jerk rapidly; jig.
2. to manipulate or alter, esp. for illegal or unethical purposes.
Switch to new thesaurus
|Noun||1.||jigger - a small glass adequate to hold a single swallow of whiskey|
|2.||jigger - any small mast on a sailing vessel; especially the mizzenmast of a yawl|
mast - a vertical spar for supporting sails
|3.||jigger - larval mite that sucks the blood of vertebrates including human beings causing intense irritation|
trombiculid - mite that as nymph and adult feeds on early stages of small arthropods but whose larvae are parasitic on terrestrial vertebrates