jitterbug(redirected from jitterbugged)
Also found in: Thesaurus, Encyclopedia.
1. A strenuous dance performed to quick-tempo swing or jazz music and consisting of various two-step patterns embellished with twirls and sometimes acrobatic maneuvers.
2. One who performs this dance.
intr.v. jit·ter·bugged, jit·ter·bug·ging, jit·ter·bugs
To perform this dance.
[From jitterbug, heavy drinker who suffers from the jitters, from jitter.]
American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, Fifth Edition. Copyright © 2016 by Houghton Mifflin Harcourt Publishing Company. Published by Houghton Mifflin Harcourt Publishing Company. All rights reserved.
1. (Dancing) a fast jerky American dance, usually to a jazz accompaniment, that was popular in the 1940s
2. (Dancing) a person who dances the jitterbug
3. a highly nervous or excitable person
vb, -bugs, -bugging or -bugged
(Dancing) (intr) to perform such a dance
Collins English Dictionary – Complete and Unabridged, 12th Edition 2014 © HarperCollins Publishers 1991, 1994, 1998, 2000, 2003, 2006, 2007, 2009, 2011, 2014
n., v. -bugged, -bug•ging. n.
1. a strenuously acrobatic jazz dance marked by standardized steps along with twirls, splits, and somersaults.
2. a person who dances the jitterbug.v.i.
3. to dance the jitterbug.
Random House Kernerman Webster's College Dictionary, © 2010 K Dictionaries Ltd. Copyright 2005, 1997, 1991 by Random House, Inc. All rights reserved.
Past participle: jitterbugged
Collins English Verb Tables © HarperCollins Publishers 2011
A variation on the two-step, it was the link between swing and rock’n’roll. Its distinct style is marked by strenuous movements and occasional acrobatics.
Dictionary of Unfamiliar Words by Diagram Group Copyright © 2008 by Diagram Visual Information Limited
Switch to new thesaurus
|Noun||1.||jitterbug - a jerky American dance that was popular in the 1940s|
social dancing - dancing as part of a social occasion
|Verb||1.||jitterbug - do the jitterbug|
Based on WordNet 3.0, Farlex clipart collection. © 2003-2012 Princeton University, Farlex Inc.