Also found in: Thesaurus, Legal, Idioms, Encyclopedia.
Related to jockeying: roughshod
n. pl. jock·eys
1. Sports One who rides horses in races, especially as a profession.
2. Informal One whose occupation or hobby involves a specified machine, device, or object: a computer jockey; a desk jockey.
v. jock·eyed, jock·ey·ing, jock·eys
1. Sports To ride (a horse) as jockey.
2. To direct or maneuver by cleverness or skill: jockeyed the car into a tight space.
3. To trick; cheat.
1. Sports To ride a horse in a race.
2. To maneuver for a certain position or advantage: jockeying for a promotion.
3. To employ trickery.
[Diminutive of Scots Jock, variant of Jack; see jack.]