Also found in: Thesaurus, Medical, Idioms, Encyclopedia, Wikipedia.
Related to jugular: jugular pulse
related to or situated in the region of the neck or throat; a vital and vulnerable trait, feature, or element that one attacks in an attempt to overcome an adversary swiftly and completely: go for the jugular
Not to be confused with:
juggler – one who keeps several objects, such as balls or chainsaws, in continuous motion in the air by tossing and catching; one who uses trickery or deception
Of, relating to, or located in the region of the neck or throat.
1. A jugular vein.
2. The most vital part: a strategic attack aimed at the enemy's jugular.
1. (Anatomy) of, relating to, or situated near the throat or neck
2. (Zoology) of, having, or denoting pelvic fins situated in front of the pectoral fins: a jugular fish.
3. (Anatomy) short for jugular vein
4. go for the jugular to make a savage and destructive attack on an enemy's weakest point
[C16: from Late Latin jugulāris, from Latin jugulum throat]
jug•u•lar(ˈdʒʌg yə lər, ˈdʒu gyə-)
1. of or pertaining to the throat or neck.
2. of or designating any of several veins of the neck that convey blood from the head to the heart.n.
3. a jugular vein.
4. a vital part or area that is particularly vulnerable to attack: to go for the jugular.
[1590–1600; < Late Latin jugulāris= Latin jugul(um) throat + -āris -ar1]
Switch to new thesaurus
|Noun||1.||jugular - veins in the neck that return blood from the head|
anterior jugular vein - arises below the chin from veins draining the lower face; joins the external jugular vein
external jugular vein - formed by the junction of the posterior auricular and the retromandibular veins; empties into the subclavian vein
internal jugular vein - a continuation of the sigmoid sinus of the dura mater; joins the subclavian vein to form the brachiocephalic vein
vein, vena, venous blood vessel - a blood vessel that carries blood from the capillaries toward the heart; "all veins except the pulmonary vein carry unaerated blood"
|2.||jugular - a vital part that is vulnerable to attack; "he always goes for the jugular"|
|Adj.||1.||jugular - relating to or located in the region of the neck or throat; "jugular vein"|
jugular[ˈdʒʌgjʊləʳ] n (also jugular vein) → (vena) giugulare f
a. yugular, rel. a las venas yugulares;
___ foramen → foramen ___;
___ fossa → fosa ___;
___ gland → glándula ___;
___ glomus → glomo ___;
___ nerve → nervio ___;
___ pulse → pulso ___;
___ venous arch → arco venoso ___.