Also found in: Legal, Acronyms, Encyclopedia, Wikipedia.
Related to Jura: Jura Mountains
(Law) the plural of jus1
1. (Placename) a department of E France, in Franche-Comté region. Capital: Lons-le-Saunier. Pop: 253 309 (2003 est)). Area: 5055 sq km (1971 sq miles)
2. (Placename) a canton of Switzerland, bordering the French frontier: formed in 1979 from part of Bern. Capital: Delémont. Pop: 69 200 (2002 est). Area: 838 sq km (323 sq miles)
3. (Placename) an island off the W coast of Scotland, in the Inner Hebrides, separated from the mainland by the Sound of Jura. Pop: 200 (2004 est). Area: 381 sq km (147 sq miles)
4. (Placename) a mountain range in W central Europe, between the Rivers Rhine and Rhône: mostly in E France, extending into W Switzerland
5. (Placename) a range of mountains in the NE quadrant of the moon lying on the N border of the Mare Imbrium
Collins English Dictionary – Complete and Unabridged, 12th Edition 2014 © HarperCollins Publishers 1991, 1994, 1998, 2000, 2003, 2006, 2007, 2009, 2011, 2014
1. Also called Ju′ra Moun′tains. a mountain range in W central Europe, between France and Switzerland, extending from the Rhine to the Rhone. Highest peak, Crêt de la Neige, 5654 ft. (1723 m).
2. a canton in W Switzerland. 69,188; 323 sq. mi. (837 sq. km).
Random House Kernerman Webster's College Dictionary, © 2010 K Dictionaries Ltd. Copyright 2005, 1997, 1991 by Random House, Inc. All rights reserved.