Also found in: Thesaurus, Medical, Acronyms, Encyclopedia, Wikipedia.
1. A cultivated shrub (Piper methysticum) of the Pacific islands, having heart-shaped leaves. It is widely grown for its roots, which contain psychoactive chemicals.
a. A narcotic beverage prepared from the roots of this plant, used traditionally for social and religious purposes.
b. A dietary supplement derived from the roots of this plant, used as a sedative.
[Tongan, acrid, kava.]
1. (Plants) a Polynesian shrub, Piper methysticum: family Piperaceae
2. (Plants) a drink prepared from the aromatic roots of this shrub
[C18: from Polynesian (Tongan): bitter]
n., pl. -vas.
1. a Polynesian shrub, Piper methysticum, of the pepper family: the roots are used to make an intoxicating beverage.
2. the beverage made from kava.
[1810–20; < Polynesian]
Switch to new thesaurus
|Noun||1.||kava - an alcoholic drink made from the aromatic roots of the kava shrub|
alcohol, alcoholic beverage, alcoholic drink, inebriant, intoxicant - a liquor or brew containing alcohol as the active agent; "alcohol (or drink) ruined him"
Polynesia - the islands in the eastern part of Oceania