kern(redirected from kerne)
Also found in: Thesaurus, Encyclopedia.
Related to kerne: kernel
kern 1also kerne (kûrn)
1. A medieval Scottish or Irish foot soldier.
2. A loutish person.
[Middle English kerne, from Middle Irish ceithern, ceithernn, band of soldiers, from Old Irish.]
kern 2(kûrn) Printing
The portion of a typeface that projects beyond the body or shank of a character.
tr.v. kerned, kern·ing, kerns
1. To provide (type) with a kern.
2. To adjust space between (characters) in typeset text.
[French carne, corner, from Old North French, from Latin cardō, cardin-, hinge.]
(Printing, Lithography & Bookbinding) the part of the character on a piece of printer's type that projects beyond the body
(Printing, Lithography & Bookbinding) (tr) to furnish (a typeface) with a kern
[C17: from French carne corner of type, projecting angle, ultimately from Latin cardō hinge]
1. (Historical Terms) (in medieval Ireland or Scotland)a lightly armed foot soldier
2. (Historical Terms) a troop of such soldiers
3. archaic a loutish peasant
[C14: from Middle Irish cethern band of foot soldiers, from cath battle]
(General Engineering) engineering the central area of a wall, column, etc, through which all compressive forces pass
[from German Kern core, heart]
(Biography) Jerome (David). 1885–1945, US composer of musical comedies, most notably Show Boat (1927)
1. a part of the face of a type projecting beyond the body or shank, as in certain italic letters.v.t.
2. to form or furnish with a kern, as a type or letter.
3. to remove a portion of space between (adjacent letters) in preparation for printing.
[1675–85; < French carne corner dial. Old French < Latin cardō hinge; compare cardinal]
1. (in Irish history) a band of lightly armed foot soldiers.
2. Archaic. yokel.
[1325–75; Middle English kerne < Irish ceithern band of foot soldiers]
Jerome (David), 1885–1945, U.S. composer.
Past participle: kerned
Switch to new thesaurus
|Noun||1.||Kern - United States composer of musical comedies (1885-1945)|
|2.||kern - the part of a metal typeface that projects beyond its body|
type - a small metal block bearing a raised character on one end; produces a printed character when inked and pressed on paper; "he dropped a case of type, so they made him pick them up"
|Verb||1.||kern - furnish with a kern|
furnish, provide, supply, render - give something useful or necessary to; "We provided the room with an electrical heater"
kern - remove a portion of space between (adjacent letters)
|2.||kern - remove a portion of space between (adjacent letters)|
get rid of, remove - dispose of; "Get rid of these old shoes!"; "The company got rid of all the dead wood"
kern - furnish with a kern