Also found in: Thesaurus, Encyclopedia, Wikipedia.
Related to Kikuyu: Kikuyu grass
Ki·ku·yu(kĭ-ko͞o′yo͞o) also Gi·ku·yu (gĭ-ko͞o′yo͞o)
n. pl. Kikuyu or Ki·ku·yus also Gikuyu or Gi·ku·yus
1. A member of a people of central and southern Kenya.
2. The Bantu language of the Kikuyu.
American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, Fifth Edition. Copyright © 2016 by Houghton Mifflin Harcourt Publishing Company. Published by Houghton Mifflin Harcourt Publishing Company. All rights reserved.
npl -yus or -yu
1. (Peoples) a member of a Negroid people of E Africa, living chiefly in Kenya on the high foothills around Mount Kenya
2. (Languages) the language of this people, belonging to the Bantu group of the Niger-Congo family
Collins English Dictionary – Complete and Unabridged, 12th Edition 2014 © HarperCollins Publishers 1991, 1994, 1998, 2000, 2003, 2006, 2007, 2009, 2011, 2014
n., pl. -yus, (esp. collectively) -yu.
1. a member of an African people or group of peoples mainly of the E and S of Mount Kenya in S central Kenya.
2. the Bantu language of the Kikuyu.
Random House Kernerman Webster's College Dictionary, © 2010 K Dictionaries Ltd. Copyright 2005, 1997, 1991 by Random House, Inc. All rights reserved.