Also found in: Thesaurus, Medical, Legal, Financial, Acronyms, Encyclopedia, Wikipedia.
1. One thousand (103): kilowatt.
2. 1,024 (210): kilobyte.
1. (Units) denoting 103 (1000): kilometre. Symbol: k
2. (in computer technology) denoting 210 (1024): kilobyte: in computer usage, kilo- is restricted to sizes of storage (eg kilobit) when it means 1024; in other computer contexts it retains its usual meaning of 1000
[from French, from Greek khilioi thousand]
ki•lo(ˈki loʊ, ˈkɪl oʊ)
n., pl. -los.
1. a kilogram.
2. a kilometer.
a combining form used in the names of units of measure equal to one thousand of a given base unit: kiloliter; kilowatt.
[< French, representing Greek chilioi a thousand]
1. A prefix that means:
2. One thousand, as in kilowatt, one thousand watts.
3. 210 (that is, 1,024), which is the power of 2 closest to 1,000, as in kilobyte.
A prefix meaning 1000; e.g., a kilogram (kg) is a unit of mass equal to 1000 grams.