Also found in: Thesaurus, Medical, Financial, Acronyms, Encyclopedia, Wikipedia.
n. Abbr. KP
1. Enlisted military personnel assigned to work in a kitchen.
2. Military duty assisting cooks.
American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, Fifth Edition. Copyright © 2016 by Houghton Mifflin Harcourt Publishing Company. Published by Houghton Mifflin Harcourt Publishing Company. All rights reserved.
(Military) US soldiers who have been detailed to work in the kitchen, esp as a punishment. Abbreviation: KP
Collins English Dictionary – Complete and Unabridged, 12th Edition 2014 © HarperCollins Publishers 1991, 1994, 1998, 2000, 2003, 2006, 2007, 2009, 2011, 2014
n., pl. KPs, KP's for 5.
1. military duty as a kitchen helper: assigned to KP.
2. a soldier detailed to work as kitchen help.
[1915–20, Amer.; k(itchen) p(olice)]
1. Knight of the Order of St. Patrick.
2. Knights of Pythias.
Random House Kernerman Webster's College Dictionary, © 2010 K Dictionaries Ltd. Copyright 2005, 1997, 1991 by Random House, Inc. All rights reserved.