Also found in: Thesaurus, Idioms, Encyclopedia, Wikipedia.
1. the sharp cutting edge of a knife
2. any sharp edge
3. (Mechanical Engineering) a sharp-edged wedge of hard material on which the beam of a balance pivots or about which a pendulum is suspended
4. a critical point in the development of a situation, process of making a decision, etc
Collins English Dictionary – Complete and Unabridged, 12th Edition 2014 © HarperCollins Publishers 1991, 1994, 1998, 2000, 2003, 2006, 2007, 2009, 2011, 2014
1. the cutting edge of a knife.
2. anything with a sharp edge.
3. a wedge on the fine edge of which a scale beam, pendulum, or the like, balances or oscillates.
Random House Kernerman Webster's College Dictionary, © 2010 K Dictionaries Ltd. Copyright 2005, 1997, 1991 by Random House, Inc. All rights reserved.
Switch to new thesaurus
|Noun||1.||knife edge - the sharp cutting side of the blade of a knife|
blade - the flat part of a tool or weapon that (usually) has a cutting edge
edge - a sharp side formed by the intersection of two surfaces of an object; "he rounded the edges of the box"
edge tool - any cutting tool with a sharp cutting edge (as a chisel or knife or plane or gouge)
Based on WordNet 3.0, Farlex clipart collection. © 2003-2012 Princeton University, Farlex Inc.
knife edgen to be on a knife edge (fig) (person) → stare or camminare sul filo del rasoio; (hope, result) → essere appeso/a a un filo
the success of the scheme was balanced on a knife edge → la riuscita del progetto era appesa ad un filo
Collins Italian Dictionary 1st Edition © HarperCollins Publishers 1995