Also found in: Thesaurus, Medical, Idioms, Encyclopedia, Wikipedia.
v. knit or knit·ted, knit·ting, knits
1. To make (a fabric or garment) by intertwining yarn or thread in a series of connected loops either by hand, with knitting needles, or on a machine.
2. To form (yarn or thread) into fabric by intertwining.
3. To join closely; unite securely.
4. To draw (the brows) together in wrinkles; furrow.
1. To make a fabric or garment by knitting.
2. To become securely joined or mended together closely, as a fractured bone.
3. To come together in wrinkles or furrows, as the brows.
1. A fabric or garment made by knitting.
2. The way in which a fabric has been knit: a loose knit.
[Middle English knitten, to tie in a knot, from Old English cnyttan.]
American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, Fifth Edition. Copyright © 2016 by Houghton Mifflin Harcourt Publishing Company. Published by Houghton Mifflin Harcourt Publishing Company. All rights reserved.
(Knitting & Sewing) made by knitting
Collins English Dictionary – Complete and Unabridged, 12th Edition 2014 © HarperCollins Publishers 1991, 1994, 1998, 2000, 2003, 2006, 2007, 2009, 2011, 2014
Switch to new thesaurus
|Adj.||1.||knitted - made by intertwining threads in a series of connected loops rather than by weaving; "knitted garments"; "a hand-knitted sweater"|
unwoven - not woven; "tapa cloth is an unwoven fabric made by pounding bark into a thin sheet"
Based on WordNet 3.0, Farlex clipart collection. © 2003-2012 Princeton University, Farlex Inc.
Collins Spanish Dictionary - Complete and Unabridged 8th Edition 2005 © William Collins Sons & Co. Ltd. 1971, 1988 © HarperCollins Publishers 1992, 1993, 1996, 1997, 2000, 2003, 2005
knitted[ˈnɪtɪd] adj → en tricot
Collins English/French Electronic Resource. © HarperCollins Publishers 2005
Collins German Dictionary – Complete and Unabridged 7th Edition 2005. © William Collins Sons & Co. Ltd. 1980 © HarperCollins Publishers 1991, 1997, 1999, 2004, 2005, 2007
Collins Italian Dictionary 1st Edition © HarperCollins Publishers 1995