knuckle(redirected from knuckled down)
Also found in: Thesaurus, Medical, Idioms, Encyclopedia.
a. The prominence of the dorsal aspect of a joint of a finger, especially of one of the joints connecting the fingers to the hand.
b. A rounded protuberance formed by the bones in a joint.
2. A cut of meat centering on the carpal or tarsal joint, as of a pig.
3. The part of a hinge through which the pin passes.
4. A sharp angle formed by the meeting of two surfaces, especially two ship's timbers.
5. knuckles Brass knuckles.
tr.v. knuck·led, knuck·ling, knuck·lesPhrasal Verbs:
1. To press, rub, or hit with the knuckles.
2. To shoot (a marble) with the thumb over the bent forefinger.
To apply oneself earnestly to a task.
To yield to pressure; give in.
[Middle English knokel.]
1. (Anatomy) a joint of a finger, esp that connecting a finger to the hand
2. (Cookery) a joint of veal, pork, etc, consisting of the part of the leg below the knee joint, often used in making stews or stock
3. (Mechanical Engineering) the cylindrical portion of a hinge through which the pin passes
4. (Mechanical Engineering) an angle joint between two members of a structure
5. near the knuckle informal approaching indecency
6. (tr) to rub or press with the knuckles
7. (Games, other than specified) (intr) to keep the knuckles on the ground while shooting a marble
[C14: related to Middle High German knöchel, Middle Low German knoke bone, Dutch knok]
n., v. -led, -ling. n.
1. any joint of a finger, esp. one of the articulations of a metacarpal with a phalanx.
2. the rounded prominence of such a joint when the finger is bent.
3. a cut of meat including the carpal, tarsal, or hock joint, esp. of a pig.
4. an angle at the intersection of two members or surfaces, as in the timbers of a ship or in a roof.
6. a cylindrical projecting part on a hinge, through which an axis or pin passes; the joint of a hinge.v.t.
7. to rub or press with the knuckles.
8. knuckle down,
a. to apply oneself vigorously and earnestly; become serious.
b. Also, knuckle under. to submit; yield.
[1400–40; late Middle English knokel, probably < Middle Dutch knokel, c. Middle High German Knüchel, diminutive of a word represented by Middle High German Knoche bone]
knuck′ly, adj. -li•er, -li•est.
Past participle: knuckled
Switch to new thesaurus
|Noun||1.||knuckle - a joint of a finger when the fist is closed|
finger - any of the terminal members of the hand (sometimes excepting the thumb); "her fingers were long and thin"
|Verb||1.||knuckle - press or rub with the knuckles|
press - exert pressure or force to or upon; "He pressed down on the boards"; "press your thumb on this spot"
|2.||knuckle - shoot a marble while keeping one's knuckles on the ground|
shoot - throw or propel in a specific direction or towards a specific objective; "shoot craps"; "shoot a golf ball"
knuckle down apply yourself, try, study, concentrate, work hard, pay attention, persevere, buckle down (informal), make an effort, commit yourself, be diligent, be industrious, be assiduous, devote yourself, dedicate yourself The only thing to do was to knuckle down.
parmak eklemi/oynak yeri
knuckle[ˈnʌkl] N (Anat) → nudillo m; [of meat] → jarrete m
to rap sb's knuckles; rap sb over the knuckles → echar un rapapolvo a algn
it was a bit near the knuckle → rayaba en la indecencia
knuckle[ˈnʌkəl] n → jointure f des doigts
He had bruised knuckles on both hands → Il avait les jointures des doigts écorchées aux deux mains.
knuckle downvi → s'y mettre, s'atteler à la tâche
to knuckle down to sth → s'atteler à qch
He managed to knuckle down to his lessons long enough to pass his examination → Il réussit à s'atteler à ses leçons assez longtemps pour être reçu à son examen.
knuckle undervi → céder
n → Knöchelbein nt
pl ? jacks
n (esp Brit) → Schlagring m
n (inf) → Holzkopf m (inf)
a joint of a finger. She hit her hand against the wall and grazed her knuckles. kneukel مَفْصَل الأصَبَع кокалче nós dos dedos kloub (na prstě ruky) der Knöchel kno άρθρωση δαχτύλου nudillo sõrmenukk بند انگشت rystynen jointure עֶצֶם פֶּרֶק הָאֶצבַּע उंगली की गांठ, घुटने या टखने का जोड़ जानवरों में zglob prsta ujjízület buku jari hnúi nocca 指関節 손가락 관절 krumplys pirksta locītava/kauliņš buku jari knokkelknoke główka kości palcowej, kostka د ګوتو بند nós dos dedos articulaţie/încheietură (a degetului) сустав пальца kĺb členek zglob knoge ข้อนิ้ว parmak eklemi/oynak yeri 指節 суглоб пальця انگلیوں کا جوڑ khớp đốt tay 指节