labeled(redirected from labeledly)
Also found in: Thesaurus, Legal, Encyclopedia.
1. An item used to identify something or someone, as a small piece of paper or cloth attached to an article to designate its origin, owner, contents, use, or destination.
2. A descriptive term; an epithet.
3. A distinctive name or trademark identifying a product or manufacturer, especially a recording company.
4. Architecture A molding over a door or window; a dripstone.
5. Heraldry A figure in a field consisting of a narrow horizontal bar with several pendants.
6. Chemistry See tracer.
tr.v. la·beled, la·bel·ing, la·bels or la·belled or la·bel·ling
1. To attach a label to: labeled the jars before storing them.
2. To identify or designate with a descriptive term; describe or classify: "He missed two crucial penalty kicks ... and was labeled a loser by the previously loyal British press" (Phil Ball).
3. Chemistry To add a tracer to (a compound).
[Middle English, ornamental strip of cloth, from Old French, probably of Germanic origin.]
la′bel·er, la′bel·ler n.