labial(redirected from labialising)
Also found in: Thesaurus, Medical, Encyclopedia.
1. Of or relating to the lips or labia.
2. Linguistics Articulated mainly by closing or partly closing the lips, as the sounds (b), (m), or (w).
1. Linguistics A labial consonant.
2. Music See flue1.
American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, Fifth Edition. Copyright © 2016 by Houghton Mifflin Harcourt Publishing Company. Published by Houghton Mifflin Harcourt Publishing Company. All rights reserved.
1. (Anatomy) of, relating to, or near lips or labia
2. (Music, other) music producing sounds by the action of an air stream over a narrow liplike fissure, as in a flue pipe of an organ
3. (Phonetics & Phonology) phonetics relating to a speech sound whose articulation involves movement or use of the lips: a labial click.
4. (Music, other) music Also called: labial pipe an organ pipe with a liplike fissure
5. (Phonetics & Phonology) phonetics a speech sound such as English p or m, whose articulation involves movement or use of the lips
[C16: from Medieval Latin labiālis, from Latin labium lip]
Collins English Dictionary – Complete and Unabridged, 12th Edition 2014 © HarperCollins Publishers 1991, 1994, 1998, 2000, 2003, 2006, 2007, 2009, 2011, 2014
la•bi•al(ˈleɪ bi əl)
1. of, pertaining to, or resembling a labium.
2. of or pertaining to the lips.
3. (of a speech sound) articulated using one or both lips, as the sounds (p), (v), (m), (w), or (o̅o̅).n.
4. a labial speech sound, esp. a consonant.
[1585–95; < Medieval Latin]
Random House Kernerman Webster's College Dictionary, © 2010 K Dictionaries Ltd. Copyright 2005, 1997, 1991 by Random House, Inc. All rights reserved.
Switch to new thesaurus
|Noun||1.||labial - a consonant whose articulation involves movement of the lips|
consonant - a speech sound that is not a vowel
bilabial - a consonant that is articulated using both lips; /p/ or /b/ or /w/
labial stop - a stop consonant that is produced with the lips
|Adj.||1.||labial - of or relating to the lips of the mouth; "labial stops"|
|2.||labial - relating to or near the female labium|
Based on WordNet 3.0, Farlex clipart collection. © 2003-2012 Princeton University, Farlex Inc.
Collins Spanish Dictionary - Complete and Unabridged 8th Edition 2005 © William Collins Sons & Co. Ltd. 1971, 1988 © HarperCollins Publishers 1992, 1993, 1996, 1997, 2000, 2003, 2005
n (Phon) → Labial- or Lippenlaut m
Collins German Dictionary – Complete and Unabridged 7th Edition 2005. © William Collins Sons & Co. Ltd. 1980 © HarperCollins Publishers 1991, 1997, 1999, 2004, 2005, 2007
a. labial, rel. a los labios;
___ branches of mental nerve → ramas labiales del nervio mentoniano;
___ glands → glándulas labiales;
___ hernia → hernia ___;
___ occlusion → oclusión ___;
___ splint → férula ___;
___ veins → venas labiales.
English-Spanish Medical Dictionary © Farlex 2012
English-Spanish/Spanish-English Medical Dictionary Copyright © 2006 by The McGraw-Hill Companies, Inc. All rights reserved.