Also found in: Thesaurus, Medical, Encyclopedia, Wikipedia.
Related to labile: labile diabetes
1. Open to change; readily changeable or unstable: labile chemical compounds; tissues with labile cell populations.
2. Fluctuating widely: labile hypertension; labile emotions.
3. Decomposing readily: the labile component of organic matter.
[Middle English labil, forgetful, wandering, from Old French labile, from Late Latin lābilis, apt to slip, from lābī, to slip.]
la·bil′i·ty (-bĭl′ĭ-tē) n.
1. (Chemistry) chem (of a compound) prone to chemical change
2. liable to change or move
[C15: via Late Latin lābilis, from Latin lābī to slide, slip]
la•bile(ˈleɪ bəl, -baɪl)
1. apt or likely to change.
2. (of a chemical compound) capable of changing state or becoming inactive when subjected to heat or radiation.
[1400–50; late Middle English labyl < Late Latin lābilis= Latin lāb(ī) to slip + -ilis -ile1]
la•bil•i•ty (ləˈbɪl ɪ ti, leɪ-) n.
Switch to new thesaurus
|Adj.||1.||labile - (chemistry, physics, biology) readily undergoing change or breakdown|
reactive - participating readily in reactions; "sodium is a reactive metal"; "free radicals are very reactive"
|2.||labile - liable to change; "an emotionally labile person"|