lamenter(redirected from lamenta)
Also found in: Thesaurus.
Related to lamenta: laments
v. la·ment·ed, la·ment·ing, la·ments
1. To express grief for or about; mourn: lament a death.
2. To regret deeply; deplore: He lamented his thoughtless acts.
1. To grieve audibly; wail.
2. To express sorrow or regret. See Synonyms at grieve.
1. A feeling or expression of grief; a lamentation.
2. A song or poem expressing deep grief or mourning.
[Middle English lementen, from Old French lamenter, from Latin lāmentārī, from lāmentum, lament.]
Switch to new thesaurus
|Noun||1.||lamenter - a person who is feeling grief (as grieving over someone who has died)|
wailer - a mourner who utters long loud high-pitched cries
weeper - a hired mourner