Also found in: Thesaurus, Encyclopedia, Wikipedia.
1. The act or an instance of sighting or reaching land after a voyage or flight.
2. The land sighted or reached after a voyage or flight.
3. The reaching of land by an oceanic storm or a part, especially the eye, of a storm.
American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, Fifth Edition. Copyright © 2016 by Houghton Mifflin Harcourt Publishing Company. Published by Houghton Mifflin Harcourt Publishing Company. All rights reserved.
1. (Nautical Terms) the act of sighting or nearing land, esp from the sea
2. the act of sighting or nearing land, esp from the sea
3. (Nautical Terms) the land sighted or neared
4. the land sighted or neared
Collins English Dictionary – Complete and Unabridged, 12th Edition 2014 © HarperCollins Publishers 1991, 1994, 1998, 2000, 2003, 2006, 2007, 2009, 2011, 2014
1. an approach to or sighting of land.
2. the land sighted or reached.
3. a landslide.
Random House Kernerman Webster's College Dictionary, © 2010 K Dictionaries Ltd. Copyright 2005, 1997, 1991 by Random House, Inc. All rights reserved.
Switch to new thesaurus
|Noun||1.||landfall - the seacoast first sighted on a voyage (or flight over water)|
|2.||landfall - the first sighting of land from the sea after a voyage (or flight over water)|
sighting - the act of observing; "several sightings of enemy troops were reported"
Based on WordNet 3.0, Farlex clipart collection. © 2003-2012 Princeton University, Farlex Inc.
Collins Spanish Dictionary - Complete and Unabridged 8th Edition 2005 © William Collins Sons & Co. Ltd. 1971, 1988 © HarperCollins Publishers 1992, 1993, 1996, 1997, 2000, 2003, 2005
Collins Italian Dictionary 1st Edition © HarperCollins Publishers 1995