landgrave(redirected from landgraves)
Also found in: Thesaurus, Encyclopedia.
Related to landgraves: landgravine
1. A man in medieval Germany who had jurisdiction over a particular territory.
2. Used as the title for such a nobleman.
1. (Historical Terms) (from the 13th century to 1806) a count who ruled over a specified territory
2. (Government, Politics & Diplomacy) (from the 13th century to 1806) a count who ruled over a specified territory
3. (Historical Terms) (after 1806) the title of any of various sovereign princes in central Germany
4. (Government, Politics & Diplomacy) (after 1806) the title of any of various sovereign princes in central Germany
[C16: via German, from Middle High German lantgrāve, from lant land + grāve count]
1. (in medieval Germany) a count having jurisdiction over a large territory.
2. (usu. cap.) the title of certain German princes.