Also found in: Thesaurus, Medical, Encyclopedia, Wikipedia.
1. A decorative flap or loose fold on a garment or headdress.
2. A flaplike structure, such as the wattle of a bird or the lobe of the ear.
American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, Fifth Edition. Copyright © 2016 by Houghton Mifflin Harcourt Publishing Company. Published by Houghton Mifflin Harcourt Publishing Company. All rights reserved.
1. (Clothing & Fashion) a small hanging flap or piece of lace, etc, such as one dangling from a headdress
2. (Zoology) zoology a lobelike hanging structure, such as the wattle on a bird's head
[C16: from lap1 + -et]
Collins English Dictionary – Complete and Unabridged, 12th Edition 2014 © HarperCollins Publishers 1991, 1994, 1998, 2000, 2003, 2006, 2007, 2009, 2011, 2014
1. a small lap, flap, or loosely hanging part, esp. of a garment or headdress. See illus. at miter.
2. a wattle or other fleshy process on a bird's head.
Random House Kernerman Webster's College Dictionary, © 2010 K Dictionaries Ltd. Copyright 2005, 1997, 1991 by Random House, Inc. All rights reserved.
Switch to new thesaurus
|Noun||1.||lappet - a fleshy wrinkled and often brightly colored fold of skin hanging from the neck or throat of certain birds (chickens and turkeys) or lizards|
|2.||lappet - a small lap on a garment or headdress|
|3.||lappet - medium-sized hairy moths; larvae are lappet caterpillars|
Based on WordNet 3.0, Farlex clipart collection. © 2003-2012 Princeton University, Farlex Inc.