lateralize

(redirected from lateralized)
Also found in: Thesaurus.
Related to lateralized: lateralisation

lat·er·al·i·za·tion

 (lăt′ər-ə-lĭ-zā′shən)
n.
Localization of a function, such as speech, to the right or left side of the brain.

lat′er·al·ize′ v.
American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, Fifth Edition. Copyright © 2016 by Houghton Mifflin Harcourt Publishing Company. Published by Houghton Mifflin Harcourt Publishing Company. All rights reserved.

lateralize

(ˈlætərəˌlaɪz) or

lateralise

vb (tr)
(Medicine) med rare to cause something to be located on or moved to one side
Collins English Dictionary – Complete and Unabridged, 12th Edition 2014 © HarperCollins Publishers 1991, 1994, 1998, 2000, 2003, 2006, 2007, 2009, 2011, 2014
ThesaurusAntonymsRelated WordsSynonymsLegend:
Verb1.lateralize - move or displace to one side so as to make lateral
move, displace - cause to move or shift into a new position or place, both in a concrete and in an abstract sense; "Move those boxes into the corner, please"; "I'm moving my money to another bank"; "The director moved more responsibilities onto his new assistant"
Based on WordNet 3.0, Farlex clipart collection. © 2003-2012 Princeton University, Farlex Inc.
References in periodicals archive ?
A Weber test performed using a 512-Hz tuning fork lateralized to the right ear.
Weber tuning fork test was lateralized to the left ear, whereas ipsilateral Rinne test was negative.
During the operation, the skin flaps separated from the pericardium and the pectoralis major muscles were lateralized from their adhering medial chondral insertion (Figure 2a).
[5] Pranayama also increases hand grip strength without lateralized effects.
At 3 months postoperatively, the middle turbinate position was satisfactory on 210 sides (89%) and remained lateralized on the other 25 (11%).
Per lateralized millimeter, the mean increase of the rotation achieved was 3.6 degrees, but the mean rotation angle at six months decreased to 3.4 degrees.
Lateralized cortical changes were observed in the right rectal gyrus and precuneus and in the left supramarginal gyrus, paracentral lobule, parahippocampal gyrus, thalamus, caudate, and posterior cingulate cortex (PCC).
We believe as in high-grade VURs in which the orifices are lateralized, the maximum approximation of orifices is achieved by modified Gil-Vernet, and subsequently, more favorable results will be obtained.
A substantial body of research supports the view that trigeminal pain processing, like many other brain functions, is strongly lateralized to the right side.
The EEG showed pseudoperiodic lateralized epileptiform discharges (PLEDs) over the right hemisphere at a frequency of 2-3 Hz (Figure 1), which were time-locked with the clinical motor signs (video sequence 1).