Also found in: Thesaurus, Medical, Idioms, Wikipedia.
v. laughed, laugh·ing, laughs
1. To express certain emotions, especially mirth or delight, by a series of spontaneous, usually unarticulated sounds often accompanied by corresponding facial and bodily movements.
2. To show or feel amusement or good humor: an experience we would laugh about later on.
a. To feel or express derision or contempt; mock: I had to laugh when I saw who my opponent was.
b. To feel a triumphant or exultant sense of well-being: You won't be laughing when the truth comes out.
4. To produce sounds resembling laughter: parrots laughing and chattering in the trees.
1. To affect or influence by laughter: laughed the speaker off the stage; laughed the proposal down.
2. To say with a laugh: He laughed his delight at the victory.
a. The act of laughing.
b. The sound of laughing; laughter.
2. Informal Something amusing, absurd, or contemptible; a joke: The solution they recommended was a laugh.
3. often laughs Informal Fun; amusement: went along just for laughs.
To treat lightly; scoff at: a daredevil who laughed at danger.
laugh off (or away)Idioms:
To dismiss as ridiculously or laughably trivial: laughed off any suggestion that her career was over.
laugh all the way to the bank
To take glee in making money, especially from activity that others consider to be unimpressive or unlikely to turn a profit.
laugh out of the other side of (one's) mouth
To see one's good fortune turn to bad; suffer a humbling reversal.
laugh up/in (one's) sleeve
To rejoice or exult in secret, as at another's error or defeat.
[Middle English laughen, from Old English hlæhhan, probably ultimately of imitative origin.]
laugh•er(ˈlæf ər, ˈlɑ fər)
1. a person who laughs.
2. Informal. a contest or competition in which one person or team easily overwhelms another; easy victory.
Switch to new thesaurus
|Noun||1.||laugher - a person who is laughing or who laughs easily|
individual, mortal, person, somebody, someone, soul - a human being; "there was too much for one person to do"
|2.||laugher - an easy victory|